Monday 2 June 2008

Rajasthan Royals Win

The Rajasthan Royals won the inaugral IPL tournament yesterday. Can't help feeling a bit proud of them since they're owned by a company I'm associated with.

I did attend the semi final match between the Royals and the Delhi Daredevils at the Wankhede stadium at 8.00 PM at Churchgate on Friday with about a hundred other mates from the office (the company graciously paid for our tickets). While the match was exciting, it was quite one-sided as the Daredevils didn't put up much of a fight.

It was my first time attending a live cricket match in a stadium, and Wankhede is legendary, though those who attended the Royals-MI match at D.Y Patil tell me that that stadium is a whole lot better. It's hard to describe the excitement that we felt watching a live match. We couldn't see the ball half of the time but still cheered for each run and even danced on the benches for every four and six.

The continuous cheering left our voices sore for the remainder of the night, and for my compatriots, probably for the next day as well. It was also sweltering in the stadium sitting under the harsh floodlights for 3 hours. We were drenched in sweat from more or less the time that we took our seats, and didn't stop sweating till we left the stadium. Not to mention that food and water were hard to come by and priced double, which didn't stop the office guys from trying to buy packets of water and ice cream in between cheers and jigs.

Still, I was ready to party after the match. Everyone else, on the other hand, seemed exhausted, probably because of the above reasons, and quickly trooped back home, leaving me stranded with nothing to do. Not one to let my office friend's apparent ineptitude for fun dampen my spirits, I called up MD, met him and three other friends at Kandivli, and hit a couple of bars. Strange that suburban bars are so crowded at 2-3 A.M in the morning.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment